The Data Controller is Menai Holiday Cottages Limited T/A The Outbuildings. Our registration number with the ICO is ZA179839.
Personal Information we collect
In running and operating the website, we may collect and process the following information:
- Contact details: postal addresses, phone numbers, email addresses
- Bookings: accommodation / reservations booked, check in/check out dates, cost of booking, amounts paid, limited details of other people on the same booking (name, address)
- Marketing preferences: whether you wish to receive marketing information from us, and if so, by which methods (postal, email, telephone, SMS)
- Payment: method, the last four digits of card numbers, payment card expiry date, amounts collected, third party payment service provider references. Please note that we do not capture or store your full card details: payment is handled by our payment service providers (see below)
- Browsing: historical searches, how you use our website and mobile apps, the devices and IP addresses you use to access our services (operating system, browser). We collect this information so that we can continuously improve our website and our service to you
- Communication: emails, customer service matters, responses to questionnaires, competition entries, your interaction with our marketing communications (clicking links in our marketing emails, for example – we track this to help ensure our communications are relevant and interesting)
- Electronic identifiers: cookies, IP addresses. These electronic identifiers are essential to enable you to log into your online account and to assist you if you encounter difficulties using our online services. You can disable cookies if you wish, but this will hamper our ability to provide online services securely
How we collect personal information
We collect information in several ways:
- From you – via the completion of forms on our website, or through contact via email, social media, phone or in person
- Your use of our website
- Your interaction with our marketing communications
This website, with the exception of the items listed below, does not store or capture personal information, but merely logs the user’s IP address (Internet Protocol: standard allowing data to be transmitted between two devices) which is automatically recognised by the webserver.
Cookies are pieces of data created when you visit a site, and contain a unique, anonymous number. They are stored in the cookie directory of your hard drive and do not expire at the end of your session.
How we use your personal information
We use your personal information to:
- Manage your booking at The Outbuildings
- Detect and prevent fraud or abuse of our services
- Communicate with you, including responding to your emails, messages on social media and handling customer service issues
- Process your payments
- With your permission, send you relevant marketing information such as details of special offers, events and workshops we think will be of interest to you
- Manage competitions, promotions and special offers in which you participate
- Make sure our servers and websites are operating correctly
Legal basis of processing
There are several grounds on which we will store and use your data, as follows:
- Consent: for certain types of data processing (e.g. marketing activities), we rely on your consent to use your data. You may withdraw your consent at any time (see Your Rights below)
- Bookings: much of the time, our use of your data will be because of the booking we manage on your behalf. We will usually retain relevant data for up to six years from the date the booking completes – usually the last day of your visit or stay.
- Legal obligations: we are under certain binding legal obligations, such as accounting to the government for tax and making financial records available for audit. In such cases, we are typically obliged to retain data for up to seven years from the date of the transaction.
- Legitimate interests: we use data to manage our operations and to make business process improvements. However we will always ensure that our legitimate interests will never override your right to privacy.
How we share your personal information
Any personal information we collect is only used by The Outbuildings. We do not share personal data with any other third parties, other than noted above, unless we are required to do so by law.
We store your data in certain cloud services provided by third parties. Those third parties do not however have access to your data. We do not transfer your data outside the UK or the European Union.
Security of your data
We protect your data with various technology-based systems. We also regularly test and evaluate the security of our systems, updating safeguards as necessary. Our staff are trained in the importance of security and privacy and we treat breaches of confidentiality and privacy as disciplinary matters.
We have a system of retention periods in place to ensure that your information is only stored whilst it is required for the relevant purposes or to meet legal requirements. Where your information is no longer required, we will ensure it is disposed of or deleted in a secure manner.
We generally use your data either on the basis of your consent or as a result of a booking which you have made with us. You have the right to withdraw your consent at any time. All our marketing communications include an unsubscribe link, to make it easy to withdraw consent.
If you withdraw your consent (e.g. by opting out of marketing communications), we will stop processing your data as requested. Please bear in mind that if you have made a future booking with us, we will still need to hold onto your data so we can process that booking. That is because your booking is the basis for using your data (rather than consent). For more information, see the Legal basis of processing section.
If you are concerned about the processing of your data, please contact email@example.com. If you are unhappy with our use of your data, you also have the right to make a complaint to the Information Commissioner’s Office, which supervises data protection in the UK.
At any time you have the right to ask us:
- to confirm whether we hold any of your personal data
- to send you a copy of any personal data that we hold about you
- to correct any inaccuracies in your personal data and to add relevant details where the personal data we hold is incomplete
- to delete (to the extent possible) any of your personal data, where we are required by law to do so
- to stop processing your personal data, where we are required by law to do so
- to let you have a portable copy of the personal data we hold about you, where we are required by law to do so
- to stop processing any of your personal data that we process on the basis of our legitimate interests
- to stop sending you marketing material
Please note that when these rights are exercised, we will conduct identification checks in order to ensure your privacy is safeguarded. You will need to contact us by email or post, to exercise these rights. Any request will be processed within 7 days.
We will not contact you for marketing purposes by email, phone, text message or post unless you have given your prior consent.
To comply with EU legislation that was introduced in May 2012, this section documents how our website might collect information from you.
Cookies contain information that is transferred to your computer’s hard drive and then stored there and transferred to us where appropriate to help us to improve our website and the service that we provide to you.
You block cookies by activating the setting on your browser that allows you to refuse the setting of all or some cookies. However, if you use your browser settings to block all cookies (including essential cookies) you may not be able to access all or parts of our site.
You can find more information about the individual cookies we use and the purposes for which we use them below.
Cookies for Site tracking
To enable us to monitor the usage of our website and the success of our marketing, we use Google Analytics, which uses a variety of cookies. These are used to track visitors and collect information about how visitors use our site. We use the information to compile reports and to help us improve the site. The cookies collect information in an anonymous form, including the number of visitors to the site, where visitors have come to the site from and the pages they visited.
For information on the cookies used by Google Analytics please click here.
Payment service providers
In order to ensure your transactions are as secure as possible, we use the following companies to process all card payments:
185 Berry Street,
Attention: Stripe Legal
PayPal Europe Ltd,
1 Heron Square,
Richmond upon Thames, Surrey,
If you have any queries regarding any matters noted above, please do not hesitate to call The Outbuildings on 01248 430132 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Contact & Booking Forms
If you send us a message using the form on this website, your name and email address will be sent by email to The Outbuildings and may be held in our records. Unless you expressly state otherwise, this information will be used to provide you with a reply to your message.
When you subscribe to our newsletter using a form on this website you details will be stored for mailing list correspondance only and will not be shared with any other third party.